Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Robbie O'Neil (2/1/51 - 8/18/11)

On Thursday, August 18th the world lost one of the funniest people I've ever known.  My father-in-law, Robbie O'Neil

I am almost at a loss for words here.  The range of emotions that I've felt over the past almost 2 weeks (wow, it has already been that long) is incredible. 

I met Robb (I called him Dad) when I was 15 years old.  He was nothing but kind to me and he could make me laugh like no one else could.  His sense of humor was priceless and his one-liners are classic.  When Ryan and I were dating, at dinner (I was 16 years old), Dad threw out one of his famous one-liners and milk came spraying out of my nose.  Dad of course laughed, pointed and said "She's got milk coming out her nose."  It still makes me smile thinking about it. 

The man I got to know loved his family like crazy.  He always told my mother-in-law and his kids (including myself) he loved us.  When I left he always said two things, "Drive safely and I love you." 

Dad loved cars.  I didn't know someone could be as passionate about cars like he could.  His funeral procession was full of classic cars and was lead by two of his cars, a '69 Camaro and '64 Chevy Truck.  He would have loved it. 

The past few years were a struggle for him to put it nicely.  He grappled with alcoholism.  My brother-in-law I think said it best - He couldn't swallow his pride and admit he had a problem.  Watching his downward spiral was awful.  We tried so many times to get him help.  The man we knew was disappearing and it was heart breaking to see.  On some level his passing was odd in the fact that it seems like we had lost the Dad we knew years ago.  It is difficult to wrap my mind around the fact that now there is no longer hope of him conquering the disease.  

Ryan and Matt both spoke at his funeral.  I did not but would have said something like this.  Thank you for making me laugh.  You had the ability to put a smile on anyone's face.  Thank you for raising two great sons.  I will be eternally grateful for you giving me Ryan.  I pray you are at peace now and no longer suffering.  I love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment